Monday, January 26, 2009

Incredible Artwork


Title: The Trinity with Souls in Purgatory
Artist: Corrado Giaquinto
Date: c. 1743
Medium: Oil on canvas

The original of this painting hangs in the Minneapolis Institute of Arts and is an amazing example of "purgatory art". I have never seen the Holy Trinity depicted with Jesus dead before. I was completely captivated by this painting during my visit there last weekend. My husband and I deducted that this is Jesus, offering His death for the sins of the these souls to the Father who holds His hand over the Holy Souls in benediction.

Two other images of particular beauty: There is a soul grasping the foot of the cross who cannot be seen in this image so well. The face of the man in the lower right is the most striking combination of peace and resignation. As I stood before this important piece of art, I felt I could look at all day.

Works such as these ought to serve and holy reminders to pray for the Church Suffering as is our duty. Eternal rest grant unto them O Lord, let eternal light shine upon them, may they rest in peace. Amen+

2 comments:

Cathy_of_Alex said...

I know this work. It is astonishing to see it in person. I highly recommend anyone reading this blog who lives in the Twin Cities stop by the MIA and see it. They also have many other religious works on view. I wish they were in churches but what can you do... *sigh*

Shirley said...

Very beautiful painting. Thanks for posting it!