Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Behold the Lamb of God

photo credit

"I saw the Lord Jesus tied to a pillar, stripped of His clothes, and the scourging began immediately. I saw four men who took turns at striking the Lord with scourges. My heart almost stopped at the sight of these tortures." (445)

"I saw how the Lord Jesus suffered as He was being scourged. Oh, such an inconceivable agony! ... His blood flowed to the ground, and in some places His flesh started to fall off. I saw a few bare bones on His back. The meek Jesus moaned softly and sighed." (188).

"The Lord said to me, I suffer even greater pain than that which you see. And Jesus gave me to know for what sins He subjected himself to the scourging: these are sins of impurity. Oh, how dreadful was Jesus' moral suffering during the scourging!" (445)

Source: Excerpts from St. Faustina's Diary on Our Lord's Scourging at the Pillar.

Although St. Faustina does not mention it, I often wonder if Mary stood and watched in silence to witness this act of great cruelty - as she did under the cross. Just imagine what it must have been like to watch helpless as your only child is thus tortured. Let us think often of our mother's suffering also during Holy Week.

3 comments:

Maria said...

I really enjoyed my visit to your website toda. Thanks for such a nice visit!

May I please ask for prayers? My name is Maria, I'm 41, and recently married (6/16/07). My husband and I want children very much. However we haven't been able to concieve yet. I had an issue with ovarian cysts. On Feb. 12th 2008 I had surgery to get rid of them. On that day the doctor told me I had severe endometriosis, massive adhesians (which is why they had to do the stomach opening surgery), and the two cysts were endometriomas. I was devastated. I never knew I had endomtriosis. I am especially devastated about being told I could be infertile.

I know I am blessed to have such a wonderful Catholic husband. He would make such a great Dad. I feel bad that I might not be able to give him children.

I have a devotion to the Blessed Mother and the Rosary. I pray the Rosary every day especially when I'm feeling down about my recent diagnosis.
I'd LOVE to hear from other Catholic ladies. Maybe you could pray for me and send an encouraging word or two?

prayrosary4life@aol.com

May God Bless you.

Maria :)

Karen said...

Maria,

I happened to click here and see your post. I thought I should tell you that I became pregnant at age 44 and delivered my son at age 45. Before that, I had read an article in Newsweek (I believe) that said I had a greater chance of being struck by lightning than I did of becoming pregnant at my age without the help of a fertility clinic.

My son is almost seven now, and adorable. I don't think God pays attention to the doctors (or secular magazines) and their statistics.

I will also add that I had a statue of St. Gerard in my bedroom for years before I got pregnant. I had bought the statue because I thought the man in the black cassock was a Jesuit and I collect statues of Jesuit saints. Later somone told me who it was and we had a big laugh about the possibility of my getting pregnant.

The laugh ended up being on me! So get yourself a statue and pray and do not lose hope. With God all things are possible.

Sanctus Belle said...

Both of your comments give me pause I must say. I am 40 and have prayed also that the Lord would have mercy upon me and grant me more children. This grace would entail a healing and as this has not occurred I had stopped asking. Hearing from two other women over 40 has given me hope again. I place this request at the feet of Jesus at His scourging - Lord, do with me as You will. Amen+